VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A cruise ship crashed, many missing.

+2
Sapphire
KarmaChameleon
6 posters

Go down

A cruise ship crashed, many missing.  Empty A cruise ship crashed, many missing.

Post by KarmaChameleon Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Source

Some people were thrown into the sea when the Costa Concordia started listing, others jumped to evacuate the ship, officials said.

The ship, which reportedly cost more than $680 million, was three-quarters under water and sinking fast, a Giglio hotel clerk told NBC News on Saturday.

The Telegraph of London said some passengers jumped from the steeply listing ship and swam a short distance to the island. A photo showed the brightly lit ship teetering just outside a harbor wall.

One official said that among the dead was a man around age 65, who might have been ill or who might not have withstood the cold of the sea at night, Il Messagero said.

The 950-foot Costa Concordia had left the port of Savona at 7 p.m. local time and was sailing to Civitavecchia, its first port of call, when it ran aground around 9 p.m.

A rocky reef
Costa Cruises said 3,200 passengers were aboard, along with 1,023 crew members. Coast Guard Officials said the liner was listing at 20 degrees but was not in danger of sinking.
advertisement

Paolillo, the coast guard official, speaking from the port captain's office in the Tuscan port of Livorno, said the vessel "hit an obstacle" -- it wasn't clear if it might have hit a rocky reef in the waters off Giglio -- "ripping a gash 50 meters (165 feet) across" on the left side of the ship, and started taking on water.

The cruise liner's captain, Paolillo said, then tried to steer his ship toward shallow waters, near Giglio's small port, to make evacuation by lifeboat easier. But after the ship started listing badly onto its right side, lifeboat evacuation was no longer feasible, Paolillo said.

By 1:20 a.m. Saturday the evacuation of passengers and crew had been virtually completed. But Il Messaggero said about 200 remained on board and would have to be airlifted out by helicopters. The ship's worsening position was making it difficult to complete the evacuation, officials said.

Town officials were trying to find places for the evacuees to spend the night.

ugh.
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

A cruise ship crashed, many missing.  Empty Re: A cruise ship crashed, many missing.

Post by Sapphire Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

What are horrible situation, I've been following this since it happene last friday, very sad
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

A cruise ship crashed, many missing.  Empty Re: A cruise ship crashed, many missing.

Post by Darth Pyrinikon Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 pm

The captain denys doing anything wrong, i think hes a liar.
Darth Pyrinikon
Darth Pyrinikon
500 posts!
500 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm

I think it wasn't just the captains fault but it was the cruise line's fault because they didn't inform the crew and captain on what to do in the worst until it happened. Yes, I do believe he did ALOT wrong on his part, but it wasn't just his fault or doing.
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Maybe he shouldn't get blamed for possible not know what to do, but he clearly, abandoned the ship with thousands still on board, he definatley should take about 90% of the blame, he left passengers on board while he was safe in his lifeboat, just disgusting
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Another body taken out of the ship today on the 4th deck, so sad so many have died
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 pm

That leaves 20 left sad
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 am

this is just horrible ): I feel bad for the families of the victims...
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:32 pm

this is awful...you would never think something of this magnitude could occur, but it has...there is still one older couple missing from America..I will pray for them and their family... <3
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum