VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard III Bones?

3 posters

Go down

Richard III Bones? Empty Richard III Bones?

Post by Selrahc Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 am

DNA samples from Canadian-born Michael Ibsen - described Wednesday as the "17th great grand-nephew of Richard III" - will now become central to an effort by British and Canadian archeologists to confirm that bones unearthed this week in the English city of Leicester are the long-lost remains of the 15th-century monarch, killed in the 1485 Battle of Bosworth Field.

The "momentous discovery," detailed at a news conference on Wednesday after a skeleton with "circumstantial evidence consistent with battle wounds" was dug up from under a Leicester parking lot, moves the project to identify King Richard's remains to a DNA laboratory headed by Canadian scientist Turi King, a Vancouver-born University of Leicester geneticist.

Remarkably, the skeleton - exhumed from a 15th-century church compound and 17th-century garden long thought to be associated with Richard's burial site - had features closely corresponding to unsubstantiated historical descriptions of the king's deformed back and the manner of his death.

"It's just unbelievable," said Ibsen, a 55-year-old furniture maker from London, Ont., who now lives in his mother's native Britain.

"You couldn't have written a movie script better than this," he told Post-media News on Wednesday. "They find a skeleton with an arrow in its back, a spine with scoliosis and a head wound from a sword. They might as well have found him with a plaque saying HERE I AM."

The identification clincher, though, would be a DNA match with the Ibsen family, the members of which are known to have descended from the same maternal bloodline as Richard III. In 2005, British historian and genealogist John Ashdown-Hill announced he had traced Richard's lineage to Ibsen's mother, Joy, a retired journalist living in Canada.

Do you guys think that these really are his bones? It would be pretty cool if they were...

http://www.vancouversun.com/Hunt+Richard+burial+site+yields+bones/7235453/story.html#ixzz26LhpB5dE
Selrahc
Selrahc
250 posts!
250 posts!

Back to top Go down

Richard III Bones? Empty Re: Richard III Bones?

Post by KarmaChameleon Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:49 am

if that really is him, then that is remarkable!
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Double Impossibility Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:18 am

I don't think it is. Sources have said that the man didn't truly fit the descriptions about his appearance, but that records of his looks were altered to vilify the man. However, it's still possible. And my idea of it just being a coincidence is just as, if not more, unlikely.

Double Impossibility
50 posts!
50 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum