VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One-Child Policy in China

4 posters

Go down

One-Child Policy in China Empty One-Child Policy in China

Post by Jess Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm

What are your thoughts on the One-Child Policy in China?

There are goods and bads to this policy, and I'll list them

Goods
1. If it wasn't enforced, there would be 330 million+ more people in this world
2. By 2040, China's population will start dropping
3. Children benefit from the increased resource including girls who had previously had to compete for resources with their male siblings
4. Mothers are freed from the burden of continuous pregnancy
5. Mothers have greater freedom to work outside the home and acquire skills and training
6. Easy access to safe abortion means that illegal abortion is a rare cause of death

Bads
1. Forced abortion (as much as I'm pro-choice, I definitely don't agree with this) - no longer happening either (or at least very rare)
2. Female infanticide (no longer happening)
3. Too many boys
4. Who will take care of the elderly?
5. "little emperor syndrome" = spoiled only child
6. Lack of choice

several decades ago, in cities, this policy was more strictly enforced. You lose your job, you have to pay fines, and you might even get arrested for having more than one child. in the countryside, it was less strict.

Today, it's more relaxed and definitely not as strict. my parents, both born in China, have more than one sibling. My mom has two and my dad has...well no idea. a lot lol. I had no idea how my mom's parents got away with 3 children, but I know my dad's family lives in the countryside, a very poor place

Last edited by Jessica on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

One-Child Policy in China Empty Re: One-Child Policy in China

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 am

I have to say since china is over populated and has a lot of poor areas/people. I have to agree with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Pyrinikon Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 pm

This is just sick in my oppinion, they are killing peoples kids without giving the mom a say in it, its wrong and sick.
Darth Pyrinikon
Darth Pyrinikon
500 posts!
500 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Carter wrote:This is just sick in my oppinion, they are killing peoples kids without giving the mom a say in it, its wrong and sick.

no no no.

forced abortions are no longer happening. nor is female infanticide. and in reality,people's kids are NOT being killed, not today anyways...decades ago if you have more than one child, the second child isn't killed or anything. she or he generally won't get healthcare or an education though. and if it's twins or triplets etc, that's no problem

and as I said already, if this policy wasn't enforced, there would be 330 million more people on the Earth. 330 million more people to feed and all.
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by KarmaChameleon Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 pm

wait, too many boys?

how would there be too many boys?
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Sarah Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeah, because there's a 50 50 chance of a boy or girl every time there's a pregnancy.
And I also don't understand when u said mothers don't need to worry about constant pregnancy. They don't need to worry anyway. It's not like people force them to have tons of kids or anything

Princess Sarah
500 posts!
500 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Princess Sarah wrote:Yeah, because there's a 50 50 chance of a boy or girl every time there's a pregnancy.
And I also don't understand when u said mothers don't need to worry about constant pregnancy. They don't need to worry anyway. It's not like people force them to have tons of kids or anything

In china, strict old tradition is still major and back in the day, well having a boy was like winning the Euro millions, A boy in china is a worthy person so to speak, its like women are not equal, in a sense. they are there to serve the man----not saying this is how it is always in every household but some tradition it is....

Also many times women and there husband would kill the baby or abandon it if it was a girl because they wanted a boy so bad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Princess Sarah wrote:Yeah, because there's a 50 50 chance of a boy or girl every time there's a pregnancy.
And I also don't understand when u said mothers don't need to worry about constant pregnancy (free from the burden). They don't need to worry anyway. It's not like people force them to have tons of kids or anything

during the time Mao was leader, he encouraged couples to have as many kids as they want. the more the better, according to him

but when Deng Xiao Ping took over, along with the One-Child Policy, mothers could just have one child and that's it and not worry about getting pregnant like 5 more times

@Eric: what Derri said. There are too many boys because long ago boys were valued a lot more. because of the female infanticide, and selective abortion (which no longer happens), there was an excess of boys. during that time, the ratio boys vs girls was 118 to 100.
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum