VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK?

+2
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Short Circuit
6 posters

Go down

Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK? Empty Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK?

Post by Short Circuit Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 am

Scotland's first minister, Alex Salmond, has announced plans to hold an independence referendum in the autumn of 2014.

It came as the UK government insisted it needed to grant
additional powers to Scottish ministers to ensure any vote is legally
watertight.

So what are the main issues facing Holyrood and Westminster as the issue goes forward?

Where are the origins of the independence movement in Scotland?
The campaign for Scottish home rule began in earnest almost as soon as the unification with England took place, in 1707.

At the time, the view was that Scotland was in desperate need
of financial support, but opponents of the move were outraged by claims
that the Scots who put their names to the Act of Union were bribed.

Scotland's Bard, Robert Burns, famously wrote: "We are bought and sold for English gold. Such a parcel of rogues in a nation."

Fast forward many years to 1934, and the establishment of the
Scottish National Party, created through the amalgamation of the
Scottish Party and the National Party of Scotland.

After decades of ups-and downs, the party won its first election in 2007 and, again, in 2011.

How has the independence debate moved on - or not - in recent years?
Scottish devolution in 1999 presented a significant
opportunity for the SNP, which, despite having a few MPs, was struggling
to make the case for independence at Westminster.

The prime minister at the time of devolution, Tony Blair, was
aware of the potential opportunity a Scottish Parliament could give the
SNP.

So Holyrood's part first-past-the-post, part PR voting system
was intended to prevent any one party (ie the SNP) gaining an overall
majority.

This was the case initially - up to the 2011 election there
had been two terms of a Labour/Lib Dem coalition and one of an SNP
minority government.

The 2011 result blew out of the water the claim once made by
Labour veteran Lord Robertson that devolution would "kill nationalism
stone dead".

Could the situation now be more akin to comments by another
Labour stalwart, Tam Dalyell, who described devolution as "a motorway to
independence with no U-turns and no exits?"

With less than 27% of Scotland wanting devolution, I think this is a very bad idea. The whole population of Scotland is smaller than a major city in England, (Manchester or Birmingham for example), so how could it finance itself?

Its alright saying "Its Scottish Oil", but is it? Any platform MORE than 12 miles out to sea, is classed as "International Waters", so therefore, Scotland cannot stake any claim to oil in the international waters, plus how would they defend such waters?

Copied from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13326310
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK? Empty Re: Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK?

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am

I think personally that if Scotland wants it's Independance they should be able to fight for it, and they should be able to have it.
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK? Empty Re: Should Scotland get its Independence from the UK?

Post by Hutch Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

I agree, go Scotland cheers

Hutch
100 posts!
100 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't see how this gives anything to the deate...but okay ^^ lol...
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by KarmaChameleon Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 pm

bighutch443 wrote:I agree, go Scotland cheers

this really didn't have anything to contribute.

I believe that Scotland should keep going. Hopefully they can sit down and have a nice civilized conversation, and not have a war. geek
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Sarah Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 am

Exactly^^^
The last thing that needs to happen is more wars with more countries, cuzthat just makes things even worse

Princess Sarah
500 posts!
500 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:13 am

The thing about that is this world is greedy and I doubt that they will just be able to agree on something, but hopefully they will be able to avoid war.
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 am

I think Scotland should get its independence, and hopefully it can be done without a war/bloodshed.
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:59 am

There is no way there would be a war lol.

What Alex Salmond wants is a referendum (a vote put to the people) asking them if they want to become self governing, therefore, become a separate country from the rest of the UK. ATM the maximum amount of people who want independence is about 27%, or 1 in 4 people, so it would never happen with so few wanting it.

The referendum has been classed as a "Once in a lifetime" vote, and should take place in 2014, but some want it earlier, while feelings are running high for the vote.
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am

I think of they are going to have a vote they should give the people more time to think about if they want independance, because only 1 in 4 people may or may not get them independance like they want.
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 am

Actually the vote that is to be held will not give scotland independance, its a case of would scotland like to become independant.

Scotland should NOT,

Why because there would be issues, the Eurozone crisis? scotland will change to the Euro, Guess what? Euro is fucked up, its less strenth than the pound.

Secondly We would have no defense. The Queen has the power of the army

Third The Queen can choose to reject scotland.

the list goes on.

Scotland would have little benefit to becoming indepedant, and when that time comes in 2014 I will be putting my "X" in whatever box it is to reject the propsal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 pm

The united states had that problem when we fought for our independance, and yes we are still in debt, but hey I think if we wuld work as a country again we would be fine....I think Scotland should do whatever they feel is necessary to be happy as a COUNTRY
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 pm

The Assassin wrote:Actually the vote that is to be held will not give scotland independance, its a case of would scotland like to become independant.

Scotland should NOT,

Why because there would be issues, the Eurozone crisis? scotland will change to the Euro, Guess what? Euro is fucked up, its less strenth than the pound.

Secondly We would have no defense. The Queen has the power of the army

Third The Queen can choose to reject scotland.

the list goes on.

Scotland would have little benefit to becoming indepedant, and when that time comes in 2014 I will be putting my "X" in whatever box it is to reject the propsal.

those are good points...hmm :/
Jess
Jess
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Yellow Monkey Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Who cares what the pointd are...if they want freedom then they should be able to fight for it..they shouldn't be told what to do
Ninja Yellow Monkey
Ninja Yellow Monkey
1000 posts!
1000 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Ninja Yellow Monkey wrote:Who cares what the pointd are...if they want freedom then they should be able to fight for it..they shouldn't be told what to do

Its not about FREEDOM its about whats best for the country as a whole, the points are that there would put scotland in a worse state than the united kingdom as a whole, England does not want us gone, Wales and northen Ireland dont want us gone, overall Scotland is not in a finacal ruin the united kingdom is on a road to recovery, it would just put all of scotlands efforts of economic recovery down the toilet.

This is not as simple as the bloody pumped up american version of braveheart, this is real fucking life and scotland would be right up **** creek if we went independant sure the chance to be our own nation is tempting but lets face it the hard facts are whats to be accounted for and in 2014 unless they declare all the pros and cons then guess what people will be walking into a trap of political cahos.

Its not about freedom, its about whats best and if you look closely we are not even half way to solving the unspoken issues yet, until the SNP tell us exactly how this would happen, scotland can and will continue to be in doubt

Also we are NOT like the USA they needed freedom, Scotland has its own parliment, its own goverment. Alex dick head salmon is power hungry. Ever since devoultion in 1998 where powers were passed down from the UK goverment, scotland has talked indpendence,and wanting more powers, we dont need them, we just want them.

This world and its ******* greed

Last edited by The Assassin on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)

Back to top Go down

Post by KarmaChameleon Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:03 pm

The Assassin wrote:
Its not about FREEDOM its about whats best for the country as a whole, the points are that there would put scotland in a worse state than the united kingdom as a whole, England does not want us gone, Wales and northen Ireland dont want us gone, overall Scotland is not in a finacal ruin the united kingdom is on a road to recovery, it would just put all of scotlands efforts of economic recovery down the toilet.

yessir. this is correct.
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum