VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what point...

3 posters

Go down

At what point... Empty At what point...

Post by Double Impossibility Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am

do we draw the line between respecting cultures, and preserving what we consider the "greater good?"
For instance, sumo wrestling is a widely respected and appreciated sport, but it has many health risks. Do we accept that it is Japanese culture and a personal choice made by the wrestlers, and allow them to become obese?
Another would be how the Japanese kill so many whales and dolphins. The Chinese decimate sharks for their fins. In parts of Africa, if a husband doesn't beat his wife, she believes he doesn't love her. Where do we draw the line between acceptable cultural practices and those that are dangerous or unacceptable?

Double Impossibility
50 posts!
50 posts!

Back to top Go down

At what point... Empty Re: At what point...

Post by Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Wow, that's a really good question. As far as sumo wrestling goes, those people chose that for themselves. Which leads me to think that maybe, the line is drawn once harm is being caused to someone or something other than ourselves. It's one thing to allow ourselves to be hurt or become unhealthy in some way. It's another to inflict that harm on another living being without its consent.

Back to top Go down

Post by KarmaChameleon Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:45 am

i think there is a gray area. like majorly. the problem is that people don't even know mostly, and they just say what they want to sometimes. it does sometimes come down to some people being way too offended, but i think that if you're a good human, you should try to respect people's cultures as much possible WITHOUT changing yours.
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthDakota Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:37 am

I think that if the cultural practice causes actual harm to another person, not simply causing offence to others, but actually harming them, without the other person's consent, and harming them without real cause, then it is not acceptable.
SouthDakota
SouthDakota
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down