VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VirtualKid Forums
Welcome to VirtualKid Forums! Make sure you join so you can start posting and become a loved member! If you are a returning member, click log on, if you forgot your password click 'I forgot my password'.
VirtualKid Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat

5 posters

Go down

Chat  Empty Chat

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, even though I don't come here that often anymore I still like to stay up-to-date with the changes that go on here.

So anyway.

Switching the chat to IRC (in my personal opinion) was a very bad idea. Simply because you don't have the user-base for it. IRC is designed to be used when site either (A) Don't have any built in chats or (B) the user-base it too large and they want a cheap/free chat-room.

I personally don't see the need for IRC for such a small and small active site. Your user-base is about 10 active members all from other parts of the world. If I had a small site like this I would have kept the chat box and went to IRC when you have a HIGH active user-base.

Also on another note, if I was a new user I would prefer to join a chat with a click of a button, I.E the chat we had before, its easy, less time consuming. Also another advantage is people who connect via phone or Ipod cannot connect to IRC but they CAN connect to the chat box built into the site.

Also IRC is confusing for people.

Anyway I could go on for hours upon hours about why switching to IRC is a bad idea but you get the general picture.

With a low user-base and a chat box at hand, why switch to something that is not only confusing for a lot of people but time consuming when you can scroll down to the bottom of the forums and click on the "Join Chat" or the "log in" button.

p.s I find it very unclear on why the change was made + I don't easily know what network its on. As the old thread on how to join seems outdated as you told me that you had changed the network the IRC was on.

EDIT: Plus none of you seem like you know a lot of the IRC commands needed as I gave instructions to Eric when we had the other IRC.

Anyway comment below on your thoughts.

Last edited by Silver Assassin on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Check Edit area)

Back to top Go down

Chat  Empty Re: Chat

Post by Sapphire Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Interesting points; I agree why replace something that isn't broken? I like the old chat we used and don't get why we switched without it eve being discussed, unless I missed something?
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Diamond wrote:Interesting points; I agree why replace something that isn't broken? I like the old chat we used and don't get why we switched without it eve being discussed, unless I missed something?

Well yes, why replace something that was VERY simple to use and people used it. There was no issue with this chat.

Also like I said people who connect who don't connect with a laptop or PC will have a problem as IRC is not access-able on an Ipod, Iphone or anything like that. But you can with the old chat box.

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

I am very uneasy with this chat method, and I think members should be too. The fact that some people (even though they are staff) are able to see email addresses, passwords etc is just not on. Even admin on this site should not be able to see passwords, that is the biggest security breach ever, and could cause problems in future.

Some might be pleased to know, but I will NOT be going into that room, so another chat mod will be needed. If I had known at the time that passwords etc will be seen by individuals, then I would not have applied for the position
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Passwords can't be seen Kyle, where are you getting this from?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kryptonite Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:29 pm

if it isn't broken, Don't mess with it. i really liked the chat, i really dis-like irc chat.
Kryptonite
Kryptonite
250 posts!
250 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 pm

Silver Assassin wrote:Passwords can't be seen Kyle, where are you getting this from?

Its in the rules that are published on this site
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Short Circuit wrote:
Silver Assassin wrote:Passwords can't be seen Kyle, where are you getting this from?

Then make it a password that isn't the same as any other passwords you use, so there is minimal worry.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart D Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

one thing why do you wanna use stupid irc when some people are having problems connecting to it , when you can just use a chatroom that is already on the site and its easier for members to connect to rather than comming to the site then have to go onto a different site and go through a bloody long process to get on to the chat , this is rediculous , this site is better with the chatroom that is already here because then members can use it , its my opinion and im sticking to it , alls i can say is good luck , you could loose members this way
Stuart D
Stuart D
100 posts!
100 posts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Diamond wrote:
Short Circuit wrote:

Then make it a password that isn't the same as any other passwords you use, so there is minimal worry.

Kyle that is one person and one person alone, the person who owns the server. It's like an Admin being able to see a password. Plus it is only special mods which accounts as about 5 people, normal mods can't and the ones that are available in the chat can't They would request it in the event something was seriously wrong, Its over-reacting. Just pick a password no one uses. Plus Eric copied and pasted that off of Gov Teen or where ever they are covering their asses and the fact that it was copied means little thought Eric put into this and from what I have gathered none of the staff were consulted on this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

It says you have to sign in with your VK account details, so you cant have a different password to what you have on here, can you?
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Short Circuit wrote:It says you have to sign in with your VK account details, so you cant have a different password to what you have on here, can you?

Change your VK password then.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Short Circuit Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Diamond wrote:
Short Circuit wrote:It says you have to sign in with your VK account details, so you cant have a different password to what you have on here, can you?

How can you change your VK password, when you have to sign in with your VK account details? I know I am thick, but if you have to use your VK account, then how can you have a different password for the IRC?
Short Circuit
Short Circuit
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Short Circuit wrote:
Diamond wrote:

How can you change your VK password, when you have to sign in with your VK account details? I know I am thick, but if you have to use your VK account, then how can you have a different password for the IRC?

If this channel is the same as VT's then you can have multiple usernames, with different passwords.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by KarmaChameleon Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Okay. I want to make a few points.

This has been an act that is not new! These rules have been up for a long time, the chat was being proposed for OVER a month.

The reason I wanted to switch was so that it would be nice to have people who could be half mods, and the like. I did this because there are things on our chat that are NOT convenient.

Kyle, one person could see it, and it could be a different password, it's not like I registered everyone on here with passwords because I CANNOT SEE PASSWORDS ON HERE OR ANYTHING.

Thank you Derri for bringing this up. I was under the impression that other people would have liked this. IRC chat stays, HOWEVER, I'm bringing the normal chat back.
KarmaChameleon
KarmaChameleon
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum